Friday, 25 September 2009

BBC News Readers

I am really fed up of hearing News readers embarrasing this country with their pronunciation. For example re: Afghanistan... The Capital is Kabul. Not Kaaawbul or Korbul. The Asian resort of Bali is just that not Bawli or Borli nor Barley, Thats what farmers grow.!!! The worst example was re the good people of Wootton Bassett. some Wally called it Wootton Bawsett.
One of my real pet hates is Drawring. I ask you for Gods sake it,s Drawing
They also assume everyone works in an office, ie. reports " You may feel tired after a hard day at the office". I bet most working people in Britain work in Industry like construction & Manufacturing etc.
Invariably when they mention German & Nordic countries every name has to have affixed (Sch).
Herr Steinmier wants Angela Merckels Job.. But in good English we,d have to call Schtienmier, I think he,s from Darmstadt or should I say Darmschtadt. Perhaps he,s from Schtuttgart???

1 comment:

  1. You get riled by the funniest things.

    Does it wind you up when I have mums 'bad' trait of saying 'Newcarstle' and 'Graaarse' lol

    Cat
    x

    ReplyDelete